Thursday 20 May 2010

My Curtina Shoes

I always had a beautiful pair
Mum always made sure
If they ever got worn out at the end of any school term
They always appeared high on the shopping list for the next one
No school day was complete without a pair
Rugged, Reliable, Comfortable
My Curtina Shoes were
It was grand to say: 'Back to school with Curtina!'

The days that I wore my beloved Curtina Shoes
Those were the days of my formation
Those were the days I had not a care in this world
Those were the days of Innocence
Those were the days of my Childhood

Today, Many years down the line, I reminisce
I look back and I remember
When my worries consisted of how to carry my full lunch box and my back pack
And how my favorite cartoon, 'Voltron' didn't start on time!
Or how my paper aeroplanes didn't fly in the direction I wanted them to
And the anxiety heightened by the longing to get yet another toy car on my birthday
And on the other hand how I wanted to be grown up and enjoy all that grown ups did
I couldn't wait to be grown up

I have long departed from my childhood
Many years I have put behind me
Each one taking away a little more of that dreamy childhood
Replacing with Adult life, its many complexities, responsibilities, anxieties and a clearer realization of life and living
Enter: 'The the underlying paradox'

When I was a child I longed to be grown up, now that I am of age, I desire the Innocence and freedom of Childhood.

I miss the days that I could play with reckless abandon
I miss the days that I could sleep without the thoughts of the next day
I miss the days that words like Politics, War, Climate Change, Recession, Redundancy, Discrimination, Deadlines, Budget, Expenses, Relationships,...( You're welcome to populate the list) and all such bore no meaning and held no place
I miss the days of my childhood
I miss my Curtina Shoes.

Olusola Olaoluwakitan.

No comments:

Post a Comment